Monday, September 21, 2009

The Feminist Scorecard -III

If I had to give thanks for one thing, I mean the one thing I am truly grateful for, it would have to be technology. Today, with modern appliances I can get dinner on the table in 30 minutes, communicate in real time with my counterpart halfway across the world, buy things online that are otherwise unavailable in my part of the world, and the list goes on.

Which set me thinking. If women claim to be better than men, does that claim stand up to the test of time? I decided to hit my library to see if women had made any inventions which contribute to the betterment of our lives as we know it today:

Electricity -Benjamin Franklin (Discoverer); Male
Computer -Charles Babbage/Alan Turing/Konrad Zuse (Inventor/s); Male
Telephone -Alexander Graham Bell (Inventor); Male
Cellphone - Martin Cooper (Inventor); Male
Car -George A. Long/Karl Benz (Inventor/s); Male
Washing machine -Jacob Christian Schäffer/Henry Sidgier/Nathaniel Briggs (Inventor/s); Male
Microwave oven -Percy Spencer (Inventor); Male
Television -Philo Taylor Farnsworth (Inventor); Male
Radio -Guglielmo Marconi/Nicola Tesla/Alexander Popov (Inventor/s); Male
Sewing Machine -Barthelemy Thimmonier/Elias Howe/Isaac Singer (Inventor/s); Male

From the list it is clear. All the devices which we take for granted today and have significantly impacted our lives have all been propounded by MEN. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even included those from history. So where are the wimmin? And where are their inventions? By the way I don't consider trouble an invention.

It is blatantly obvious. Men are responsible for what we have today. We are also responsible for no longer having to live in caves, which may well be a plausible scenario had we left it to wimmin.

Maybe they'll get around to it next time.

Onward!

1 comment:

Jesse said...

By the way I don't consider trouble an invention.

Excellent! I'm gonna try to remember that one in hopes that I have opportunities to use it.

We are also responsible for no longer having to live in caves, which may well be a plausible scenario had we left it to wimmin.

...As evidenced by the rapid march of much of the western world toward living in totalitarian strong-man societies resembling what apes might come up with, the "progressives" having apparently decided that such developments as representative democracy, personal freedom, capitalism, and the like are too old-fashioned to keep around. Is it a coincidence that the regression in freedom and liberty has paralleled the rise of feminism and matriarchy? I think not.